I am stuck inside staring out my window at all the rain. Is anyone else ready for summer, eating dinner on the deck, basking in the sun, home made ice cream, and lounging at the pool. Doesn’t that sound like a dream. Instead I will have to busy myself in the kitchen making hot coconut banana bread with a melty lime glaze…ok not too bad of a deal I guess.
And not just any banana bread recipe, but my favorite banana bread. I have taken the bread to parties and showers and it is always a hit. I mean who wouldn’t love coconut banana bread with a sweet limey glaze. The best part is that it is relatively light for banana bread, with only 4 T of coconut oil. The coconut oil in this recipe is so good, it gives it so much flavor. If you don’t have coconut oil on hand butter will work too, but you should seriously consider buying coconut oil because it is so good for you.
I am a banana treat fanatic, and always buy two bunches at the store, one for baking and one for eating. Here are some more banana treats I love;banana pancakes, cinnamon chip banana cake, and banana cookies with peanut butter glaze, really just about anything with banana is amazing.
A little tip, if you don’t have ripened bananas at your house and want to make this banana bread or the other treats above, just bake your unripened bananas with skins on in the oven for 20 minutes, while prepping the rest of the ingredients, they will caramelize and turn black and sweet. This doesn’t work with green bananas just yellow bananas that aren’t black and really sweet yet.
** Note for my gluten free friends this banana bread is not gluten free, kamut does contain gluten.
**Update I switched the sweetener to raw sugar or coconut sugar because they have the best flavor.
Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze
adapted from Our Best Bites
- 2 C flour, I used kamut, but whole wheat would work as well
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C sugar or for a healthier option coconut sugar
- 1/4 C coconut oil, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 C mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large bananas)
- 1/4 C plain yogurt
- 3 Tbs buttermilk (or any type of milk, almond, rice dream etc.)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C coconut, unsweetened
Topping: 2 Tbs additional coconut
Glaze: 1/3 C agave with 2 T lime juice OR
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl cream together coconut oil and sugar or if using coconut sugar.
- Add in eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and buttermilk beat until smooth.
- In a separate mixing bowl, add flour, baking soda, salt, and coconut, mix until smooth.
- Mix together the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, do not overmix.
- Fold in the mashed bananas.
- Pour into a greased 9×5 loaf pan and sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Bake at 350 for 55 minutes (if coconut starts getting too brown, cover with tinfoil the last 15 minutes of baking).
- While bread is baking whisk together agave and lime juice.
- Drizzle over the hot bread and go ahead and eat a piece right out of the hot pan, you deserve it!
- Then let it cool 15 minutes and slice it.
I posted this recipe to Melt in Your Mouth Monday. I just found the blog, for Melt in Your Mouth Monday people come and post their favorite recipes. It is like a little blog party, go check it out for other great recipes!