3 Reasons To Freeze Your Fruit/Greens For Green Smoothies
1. Green smoothies taste SO much better with that smoothie like texture you get from frozen fruit.
2. You can save a lot of money buying fruit and greens when in season and freezing them.
3. You will never have a day that you don’t have smoothie ingredients on hand. In fact if I am out of produce I will usually make a green smoothie for a fresh snack until I can get to the grocery store. Or you can eat the frozen fruit plain. Frozen bananas and peanut butter is my favorite treat.
How To Freeze Fruit
1. Prepare your fruit; wash your fruit, and then peel your bananas, slice your strawberries in half, quarter your pineapple, peel your oranges and break them up into four segments, slice your melons in pieces without the skin.
2. Spread the fruit out on a cookie tray. This is called flash freezing, it prevents all of your fruit from becoming one big frozen clump in your freezer.
3. Once your fruit is frozen hard transfer it to a zip loc bag. Label the bag with the date.
How To Freeze Greens
1. I like to buy Costco’s big bag of spinach and put the whole thing in the freezer. Spinach breaks apart nicely when frozen. Costco’s spinach is a fraction of the price than the regular grocery store and freezing it ensures it will never go bad. This one tip will save you a TON of money.
2. I like to buy a bags of swiss chard, collard greens, and kale that is washed and pre-chopped at Sunflower market. I put the whole thing bag in the freezer as well. It saves you time buying it pre-washed and chopped and the greens are the same price if not cheaper. If you can’t find the pre chopped greens wash your greens, chop them up stem and all, and then put them in a zip loc bag. No need to flash freeze greens.
Buy up cheap oranges while they are in season. Juice the oranges and freeze the orange juice in ice cube trays. Pop out the juice cubes and add them to your smoothies year round. You can do this with lemon and limes as well.
Cut up ginger (peel and all) in pieces and freeze it to add to smoothies later.
I like to cut my limes in small wedges with the peel on, and flash freeze them to add to smoothies. The peel of the lime is where most of the nutrients are.
How Long Does Fruit Stay Good For in The Freezer
Fruit will stay good in the freezer for 6-12 months.