This is going to change your world, you can make your own gluten free cake mix!! I am so excited to share this with you because most gluten free cake mixes are mostly starch. Starches have no nutritional value and act just like sugar does in your blood stream. I have used arrow root starch in the mix, but it is the only starch that doesn’t negatively effect your blood sugar levels. I would like to play around with almond flour in place of the arrow root for added nutrition.
The first mix I made was with soft white wheat and then I converted it to be gluten free. To be honest I liked the gluten free version just as much if not better. So far I have only made the applesauce cake with it, but it turned out really good.
Update: I made cookies with it and they turned out good as well.
Let me show you how I did it:
Here are the ingredients: baking powder, gluten free flour blend, turbinado sugar ( or sucanat, or sugar), butter (or you can use coconut oil), and salt, and ground golden flax(not picture in the line up-sorry flax).
Step 2: Chop up your cold butter into pieces.
Step 3: Add it to the food processor while it is going. Let the mixture go until it resembles sand. You shouldn’t have any big chunks of butter.
There you go now you have your own healthy cake mix! Easy peasy. Just three simple steps. Now just put it in a zip loc bag and label it. I store mine in my fridge or freezer. It keeps for 10-12 weeks. I like to make a few of the mixes at a time, saving you time and dishes in the future. Healthy moms have to think smart.
You can substitute this mix into any recipe that calls for a cake mix. Just remember to add a teaspoon of vanilla to the recipe, because you don’t have vanilla already in the mix like boxed mixes do.
Gluten Free Flour Blend
- Brown rice
- Gluten free oats
- Arrow root starch flour
I put equal parts (1 C of each) of all three of these in my blender and ground it into flour. Even though the arrow root is already flour, I put it in the mix anyway to mix all of the flour together. I then measured out 2 C of the flour for the cake and stored of the flour in my freezer.
Make Your Own Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix
- 2 C gluten free flour blend
- 1/4 C ground flax ( I like golden best)
- 1 1/2 C turbinado sugar, sucanat, or sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 T baking powder
- 1/2 C cold butter, or coconut oil
- In a food processor pulse to combine all of the ingredients except for the butter.
- Cut up the stick of butter into 4 or 5 pieces.
- Add the butter to the mix.
- Pulse the butter into the dry mix until it resembles sand.
- Store the mix in a zip loc bag in the fridge, freezer, or pantry for 10-12 weeks.
When you are ready to make your cake, follow these instructions:
- Pour the mix into a medium sized mixing bowl. Add in 3/4 C milk (almond milk, coconut milk etc.), and 1 1/4 tsp vanilla.
- Beat the mixture with a hand mixer until just incorporated.
- To the mixture add in two eggs. Mix until the eggs are incorporated into the batter.
- Pour batter into a greased pan. Bake at 350.
For a 9×13 bake 30-40 minutes
For a cake pan 20-30 minutes
For cupcakes fill them 2/3′s full and bake for 20-30 minutes.
Note: The baking times might vary from what I listed below. I live at high altitude and the cakes have taken me from 40-50 minutes to bake. Adjust accordingly if it isn’t done. To check if the cake is done the top should be golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle should come out clean.
Tips: for a denser more nutritious cake add 1/4 C more flax and take out 1/4 C of the sweetener.