We fired up the grill in the dead of winter to make this chicken, for my sister in law who had a baby. It is sweet and spicy. If you don’t like a little kick, leave out the chipotle chili powder. This honey chicken recipe comes from Our Best Bites, there isn’t one recipe that I have made from their site that I don’t love. This recipe is no exception. I used chicken breasts, but I think I will try thighs next time.
Spicy Honey Chicken
recipe by Our Best Bites
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs (I used breasts, but she reccomends using thighs
- 2 Tbsp olive oil or grapeseed oil
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chipotle chili powder (if you don’t want it to be too spicy omit this)
- 1/2 C honey
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Combine all the spices in the bowl
- Trim your chicken of any excess fat or skin with kitchen scissors
- Pat the chicken dry and coat it in the oil
- Dip the chicken in the spices, don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty and coat the chicken well
- Mix the honey and the apple cider vinegar in a separate bowl. Heat the honey so it isn’t easier to drizzle on the chicken. Reserve a few tablespoons to drizzle on the chicken after it is done cooking.
- Cook the chicken on the grill for 3-5 minutes on each side.
- When the chicken is almost all the way cooked through, brush on the glaze (make sure you reserved a little bit for later) over both sides of the chicken. It will make a big hot mess, but it is worth it. Just let the grill burn off the excess glaze for a few minutes after you are done cooking the chicken.
- Take the chicken off the grill and drizzle over the rest of the honey glaze.
If you don’t have a grill you can try the broiler, or an indoor grill pan, just be careful that the glaze doesn’t burn and set off the smoke alarm.