I found this recipe in Cook This, Not That! I picked the cookbook up at the library because it caught my eye; I fell in love with it. It is kind of fun to see how many calories things have at different restaurants, and the homemade version that literally saves you hundreds of calories.
Surprisingly I have ended up making quite a few of the recipes, and I have loved all of them so far. This is one of them, which is unusual because I usually get 20 cookbooks, look through them, and don’t make anything from them.
This chicken fajita burrito is a copycat of Chipotle’s grilled chicken fajita burrito. Chipotle’s burrito with the black beans, cheese, sour cream, and salsa is a whopping 870 calories and 30 grams of fat, and that actually is tame compared to T.G.I. Friday’s Santa Fe Salad that is 1,800 calories!! This burrito recipe is only 355 calories and 13 grams of fat (if you use a low fat cheese) which I don’t so that might affect the numbers a little bit.
Here is how I roll the burrito
This picture isn’t a good example but put the fillings closest to you, not in the middle of the burrito. Pinch the top and bottom of the burrito in.
Then start to roll it away from you. I do it on top of the stack of tortillas so I don’t have to keep grabbing a new one.
There you have the perfect burrito!
I then wrap the burrito in tinfoil and put it in a labeled Ziploc bag and then to the freezer! Or we eat them right away.
These burritos freeze pretty well. In fact, I made these in my burrito freezer session with five other burritos. Just make sure the mixture is COMPLETELY cool before you wrap them up and freeze them. Or else you will get soggy burritos. Also try not to get any juice from the veggies and don’t use a ton of salsa for the best results.
Gluten free notes: Use a brown rice tortilla, make sure it is warm they tend to break more
Picky eater notes: My kids didn’t love these as much as me and Scotty. I would chop the peppers pretty small next time so they blend in with the chicken.
Vegetarian notes: Instead of the chicken add a 1/2 a carton of babybella mushrooms. Cook them with the peppers. I also have added sliced summer squash and it turned out really good.
What is your favorite thing to freeze?
Chicken Fajita Burritos
- 1/2 Tbsp coconut oil, or olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 a package of sliced mushrooms – baby bella or white button
- Salt and pepper to taste (don’t forget to season the veggies, it makes a big difference!)
- 1/2 can of black beans, drained
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Juice of 1 lime
- Hot sauce
- 4 (10-inch) whole-wheat tortillas (I used 12-inch because that is what I could find with good ingredients)
- 1 cup low fat shredded Jack cheese (I used full fat so that might change the calories a little bit)
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken (I used organic chicken)
- Heat up the coconut oil in a large frying pan. When the coconut oil is hot – not too hot – add in your veggies. Generously salt and pepper them.
- Cook the veggies until they are soft.
- Pour the beans in a separate frying pan and add cumin, a few shakes of hot sauce, and the juice of a lime. Warm the beans up.
- Shred the pepper jack cheese.
- Preheat a griddle, a cast iron skillet, or a non stick frying pan over medium heat. Assemble your burritos putting beans, veggies, chicken, salsa, and cheese on each tortilla. Roll them up tight. Place the burrito on the hot skillet and toast them for a minute or two on each side to melt the cheese.