Freezer Batch Cooking
For Valentine’s my present to Scotty was 50 freezer burritos. He has been begging me for them and I have to gear up to do it because it is a little bit of work – ok A LOT bit of work. But SO nice when they are done for healthy grab-and-go meals. If you break it up into 2 days like I did this time instead of one day, it was really doable.
He takes them frozen to work and they thaw during the day. He eats them just like that, or toasts them in a toaster oven. When I eat them at home, I just leave them in the fridge and they un-thaw. I then toast them in a cast-iron skillet to melt the cheese. I love hot food and a toasted tortilla.
I made these 5 burritos:
- Salsa chicken and brown rice burritos
- Butternut squash and black bean burritos
- Chicken fajita burritos
- Veggie curry and quinoa burritos
- Sweet Potato black bean burritos (I just used the filling from the enchiladas to make burritos.
Here is the breakdown of what I did. I broke it up into 2 days, but if you had more time you could do it in a day, it might be a long one though:).
Step 1: Make your chicken. I just get it going in the crockpot and move on to the other items at hand.
Step 2: Next I tackle the brown rice. I like to use Lundberg’s short grain brown rice, it is my very favorite. I cook it in a rice cooker. I let it happily cook while I do everything else. I don’t do anything special with the rice other than add a spoonful of coconut oil and sea salt.
Step 3: Roast your veggies.
- Heat your oven to 425.
- Put your butternut squash on a cookie tray and drizzle olive oil on it, salt and pepper it well.
- Put sweet potatoes on a cookie tray whole, just wash them well. I even leave the skins on.
- Put both in the oven. Roast them until you can easily stick a fork in the cubes of butternut squash and the whole sweet potato. When you can put a fork in with no effort they are done.
Step 4: While everything is cooking away, get the quinoa going. If I had two rice cookers I would use that, but I don’t so I do it on the stove top. Here is how to make perfect quinoa. If you cook it in broth it has more flavor, but this time I just used water.
Step 5: Make your veggie curry. We ate some of this along with some of the quinoa for dinner and saved the other half for making burritos the next day.Step 6: Put your roasted butternut squash, roasted sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, and chicken in separate containers in the fridge to use on the day 2 freezer session.
And for more fun here is Day 2’s instructions.
And for fun, what is your favorite burrito?